Why should I lose weight? What are the benefits of losing weight? Carrying extra weight can have negative effects on one’s emotions and self-confidence. Many people feel that being overweight causes them to shy away from social situations, to be passed over for a promotion at work, or to lower their self-esteem.
However, experiencing a drastic weight loss can cause a complete turnaround in one’s lifestyle. Activities such as biking, rock climbing, hiking, or swimming, which were not even considered when overweight, become more appealing. In fact, not only are these things doable once the unwanted pounds have vanished, they become new, energizing and enjoyable ways to socialize and meet others. Some people even choose to become Personal Trainers after losing weight, so they can share their own success stories as inspiration to help their clients.
In addition to being more active, increased energy, and gaining confidence, other proven reasons to lose weight are the multiple health benefits. As little as a 10 percent weight reduction can improve your overall wellness.
What if you could lower doses of current medications, or even eliminate them altogether? Not only could you save money and time, you could alleviate potential negative side effects these medications can cause. By losing weight, you could improve your cholesterol and relieve the pressure on your joints caused by carrying those excess pounds. You could improve your cognitive thinking by being better rested, and even have a more satisfying sex life due to increased self-confidence.
The Benefits of Losing weight include Improved Health!
- Raise your HDL cholesterol: a mere 5-10 percent weight loss can cause a five-point increase in HDL cholesterol, which can lower the risk of heart disease.
- Decrease triglycerides: losing 5-10 percent of body weight can lower triglyceride levels, on average by 40mg/dl. For even better results, add exercise to your regimen, watch the sugar in your diet, as well as carbs and fats, and reduce the amount of alcohol you drink.
- Lower your blood pressure: being overweight is the cause of hypertension at least 25-30 percent of the time!
- Prevent Diabetes: A 5-10 percent weight-loss can help you almost as much as some commonly used anti-diabetic pills in controlling blood sugar.
- Get better sleep: Sleep apnea is commonly diagnosed in those who are overweight; it is a condition that causes them to loudly snore or gasp for air while sleeping. Eliminating this problem could also lead to being sharper during the day because you are more rested.
- Reduce your risk of heart attack or stroke: Fat cells produce substances that can cause inflammation in blood vessels, which can result in plaques and clots. At a weight loss of just 10 percent, the level of inflammatory substances in the blood will drop, thereby reducing vascular damage as well.
If just a 5-10 percent weight loss impacts your health in such a positive way, think about what losing a significant amount of weight could accomplish! If you are considering a weight loss procedure, schedule a consultation with Dr. Kazi today. The Shapeology staff is here to ensure that you get the results you desire. We will assist you in choosing the option that best suits you, offer you a financing option, and support you through the procedure and recovery. We provide continued supervision and guidance to ensure maximum weight loss results. With Shapeology as your partner, your weight goals are within reach.